Saturday, May 16, 2015

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen - More on ADHD

Too Many Cooks in the Kitchen: How to man the snackbar with ADHD: (I know this is long and belongs on a blog; will get it there eventually)
I have a fear of making change. I am perfectly capable of doing it, but I have a fear. In fact, I have a fear of snack bars. Running them that is. And I do not work well in groups. There is usually someone who is super competent and in charge, which always gives me some sort of compulsion to be the yang to the ying, the mirror opposite, whatever you want to call it. We can't all be leaders, there have to be some followers, so I am happy to do what I'm told, except that I usually forget what I was told.
A woman comes over and gives me the drill on the popcorn machine. I do a bit of this, a bit of that, and I handle a few customers and start to feel a gust of confidence and tell myself "hey, I can DO this." Then some kid asks me what we should do with the popcorn. I look over and see that I am the only one in the vicinity and realize that the popcorn lesson was given because I was apparently assigned to that duty. I do remember now that I had asked to be assigned to a duty. Oh crap. It is burned. Now, in most situations, I have matured enough to just admit my mistakes with a laugh that says "silly me", but this situation seemed to warrant a cover-up. So I looked to see that everyone else was distracted with customers, emptied the burned popcorn onto a paper plate, opened the back door and handed the plate to Johnny while whispering to him to take it outside. "Where?" "Anywhere - anywhere, but here..." So he bumps into the door and knocks the plate and the burned popcorn all over the floor and the snack bar is getting busy and I quietly ask a kid for a broom and he starts asking everyone for a broom. And Johnny whispers: "I'm just glad you are not cooking the burgers, Mom." I am assuming he is talking about the "hockey pucks" I make at home but then I realize he is referring to last week's stint at the snack bar.
I had a similar experience last week at the snack bar when someone put me on grill duty. The wind blew the flame out, unbeknownst to me, so I turned the dial a little past the picture on the flame that I assumed to mean "highest heat" to see if perhaps the flame might go higher. I smelled gas and was about to turn down the dial when a man (of course) came over and said "you don't need to turn these up this far". I wanted to say "yes, (Duh) I realize that and I was just about to turn it down" but I saw him reaching for the red button and I said "I don't think that's a good...." and then he pushes it with an air of expertise and I hear a pop and the door at the bottom of the grill flies open and the grill is all dislodged from the explosion and so are about a hundred black specks that have landed all over the burgers. Just a long winded way of saying that I'm glad snack bar duty is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment