Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Duct Tape Holds Our Lives Together

> Well, something that I can never be accused of now is being pretentious. I have officially applied duct tape to my kitchen floor. It complements the decor of the ripped flannel sheet on the living room window and the broken lamp shade. For you Martha Stewart types, you should be happy to know that it is special white duct tape, which matches the color of the floor when it is clean (as far as I can remember). The crack in the linoleum was exacerbated the day I left the house with the famous last words: Alison, would you mind mopping the floor? I should have noted the over-enthusiasm in her voice and the gleeful look on her friend's face. I had forgotten the glorious afternoon in the recent past when I had the whole daycare skating around "Pippi style" with sponges attached to their feet. When I returned home I nearly slipped on pools of water. The girls were so proud. I was so devastated. I noticed that the crack in the floor was beginning to buckle. Russ had been obliviously working upstairs, knowing nothing of the destruction -rather cleaning- going on below. Thanks again to Pippi Longstocking, my mentor and most admired person from my childhood.
>

1 comment:

  1. Gillian! I'm so glad that you found the time to write again...I've missed the laughter that splits my sides when I read your posts. Three cheers for Pippi and Fans :-)

    ReplyDelete